Thursday 21 May 2009

My current music obsession



Over the years of being a music obsessive there have been many favourite bands of all time. I remember when I was at school and just getting into music when I had the typical first love - Heavy Metal - I remember going to various market stalls and buying every bit of vinyl I could get my hands on, and what band was my favourite - AC/DC!
I don't really know what it was about the Aussie rockers that I loved, maybe it was the great tunes they came up with. Perhaps it was the dominate vocals of both Bon Scott and Brian Johnson? Who knows but I think I had every album they ever made and then some as well!

Moving on towards the end of my school days, and merging into the Brit Pop days, was my interest in the Manic Street Preachers. I think I was a convert from the Everything Must Go era, and so I again worked backwards and quickly owned everything they had done. I was never really one of those yeah 'I knew them at the beginning' people, as if I had I would have been about 12 years old!

I then graduated up the music ladder onto university and naturally I moved to America where I have never really looked back since I'm afraid. I was introduced to The Velvet Underground by a friend and then that took me into the 'I own expensive 7 inch singles you know' area. There were other bands I loved from that era, Screaming Lord Sutch, Dusty Springfield, Vanilla Fudge and The Monkees, however the VU were fantastic I thought. I quickly became familiar with the back catalogue through the excellent Peel Slowly and See boxset. What a band!

Then onto the last few years and its been Ryan Adams and The Cardinals that have float my boat! I think I found him myself through plays of the Gold album, probably through plays of New York, New York. However the later stuff that he has done is just incredible to me, culminating in Cardinology last year, where the single Fix It sells the album on its own.

So that's got us right up to date with the obsessions, but the strange thing is I still love all the other bands, yes even AC/DC!!

2 comments:

  1. I was there at the beginning...well, not quite. From Despair to Where was first single I bought myself. Glad to see after all these years you have accepted my point that while the Manics are a great band they are not The Best Band Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I couldn't say anything else could I? You are correct about everything after all!

    ReplyDelete